- Basil – in buckets! In the next week or two, we hope to give everyone enough for a small batch of pesto. Try making a large batch and freezing some – Basil can be special ordered at wholesale prices: $12/lb. Call by Thursday for a batch this week.
- Squash – I probably said this last week, but the summer squash is now officially going bonkers, more varieties and a large quantity for everyone.
- Cucumbers are finally coming in in the field, and in the next two weeks I’ll be able to start giving everyone more than just one cucumber.
- Salad Mix – the new batch of salad mix has been very tasty, and all this rain helps keep things cooler and sweet. Salad supply looks good for at least the next month.
- Eggplant/Peppers – a variety of hot peppers are beginning to mature, watch for a mixed box with a ‘take 1-3’ label. Bell peppers are still a few weeks off. Eggplants in the hoop house are looking good; the field eggplants are just beginning to ripen. The eggplant trickle in at first, so it may take a few weeks before you get some.
Important Pickup Notes, Questions answered:
- With so many crops coming in at this time of year, we can get a little overwhelmed at this point. we had several mix-ups last week I wanted to mention:
- Friday farm pickup customers – ‘Cantaloupe’ wasn’t on the list, so some people didn’t take their melon. If you are one of these people, please take a melon this week!
- Crested Butte – Sunday pickup – the box of bean bags never made it into the truck, so you all missed the beans. We will try to make it up this week with extra beans this week.
- What else is coming? We are now into the summer crops, so we are harvesting nearly everything now – still to come: tomatoes, bell & hot peppers, eggplant, our sweet corn, more potatoes, more onions, leeks, shallots, winter squash: delacata, acorn, buttercup etc, pumpkins; fruit – pears, apples, nectarines, plums. Also fall broccoli, cauliflower and lots more salad, carrots, greens, beans, squash and all the rest of the summer crops.
Basil – sweet for pesto! – call to special order pesto quantities ($12/lb) – 970-872-4413.
Beans – Yellow and green beans.
Broccoli – loves all this rain.
Carrots, full size “nantes”, more varieties coming
Cucumbers – just starting; a few varieties
Cilantro – summer cilantro – a rare treat
Onions – more sweet yellow & white onions. Red onions, shallots and leeks coming this fall.
Sweet Corn – Olathe Sweet Certified Organic!
#2 peaches by the box available, call to order – 970-872-4413.
Flowers – More gladioli in amazing colors. More bouquets next week.