Read on for first pickup details, what’s in the box and recent farm pictures…
First Pickup Details
Important: please read the details below and call or email if you have any questions. Farm phone number is 970-872-4413.
First harvest pickup and delivery dates –
- Farm Pickup starts Friday June 21st – 3-7pm
- Marble/Redstone pickups starts Saturday June 22nd – Sat AM pickup
- Gunnison delivery starts Saturday June 22nd @ Gunnison farmers market – Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Crested Butte delivery starts Sunday June 23rd – 11am @ 421 White Rock
- Farm pickup members – pickup is at the farm on Powell Mesa (just down the hill from our home at 34830 Powell Mesa Rd.) on Fridays from 3-7 pm. A whiteboard lists the items you get for your membership type (half/full, fruit) – grab a box or bags if you need them, then pack your box from the produce in the deli coolers or table area. If you can’t make it to pick up during the regular time, please call. I will box your produce up and place it in the walk in (please close door hard until it clicks).
All other areas – Each box is labeled with your name and veg/fruit size (half/full) – if anything is wrong in week one please call so we can correct. Please return the boxes and totes for reuse. Totes collapse with two thumbs pushing tabs in, cardboard boxes can stay intact and stack neatly.
- Gunnison – Mark from Thistle Whistle Farm will be bringing your boxes to the Gunnison farmers market. Please thank him and buy some of his yummy veggies.
- Crested Butte members – Hosted by Stacee Vanaernem at 421 White Rock. Deliveries are Sundays @ 11 am. If you can’t meet the truck, please send a friend; if we don’t see you we will leave your box on the shaded porch on the right of the building. Please help keep Stacee’s porch as neat as possible between pickups, thanks!
- Marble/Redstone – standard pickup time is Saturday mornings, your boxes will be inside the walk-in, first door on our right – please close door hard until it clicks. All boxes will be labeled with an [M] for Marble and have the same color. If you know exactly when you are coming please email or call ahead so I can meet you and help load the boxes. Contact Gina (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out your pickup slots, call me with questions or for directions.
What’s in the Box?
This spring featured some cool weather and even though my planting was on schedule or early, several crops are a week or two late – including peas, baby beets, carrots, and radishes. some of the early kale has damage we have to pick off.
What we do have ready is tons of beautiful, tender head lettuce including green romaine, red & green crisp head, red and green butter lettuce and red and green oak leaf – at least ten varieties that we will harvest for 4-6 weeks. We have nice sized rainbow chard without any of the usual early leaf damage. We have delicious, tender spinach and cilantro – we will be bagging these two to extend their harvest until the later planting comes in.
We have some culinary herbs ready including garlic scapes (Garlic scapes are the curling tops of garlic plants, which are as edible as the garlic bulbs), early (green) garlic, oregano, chives and parsley – you will get one or more of these in your early box. Also in this weeks box: crunch bok choi from rain crow farms in paonia.
In short – please be patient – lots of greens this spring, enjoy their freshness and vitality – lots of squash, cucumbers, peppers, corn will arrive later in the season, and possibly a week or two later than usual. the early boxes will be a bit smaller than usual, but we will make it up to you later in the seasonn.
Fruit members note: there are no cherries to be had, so we won’t have fruit for several weeks. We do have a good peach, nectarine pear and apple crop and possibly plums. Don’t worry, you will get your full $$$ value of fruit, just a little more a little later in the season. Once again, please be patient!
Week 1 –
note: full members may get doubles, half members may not get all items
- Rainbow Chard
- Baby Kale (Bagged) – full members
- Bok Choi (rain crow farm)
- Head lettuce – assorted mini sleeved g. romaine, g. oakleaf, r. oakleaf, g. butter
- garlic scapes
- chives – full members
- salad mix
- radishes – full members
- early/green garlic – extra for full members
- peas (sugar snap, then shelling)
- baby beets
- baby carrots
- bunched kale